- 1 box jumbo pasta shells (12oz.)
- 3 small can tomato sauce (8oz. ea)
- 1 small can tomato paste (6oz.)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- several shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- heavy dash of black ground pepper
- 1/2 head of steamed broccoli (approx. 7 oz.)
- 1 batch vegan ricotta recipe: here
- vegan mozzarella to your heart's content
start boiling the pasta shells according to the instructions. in a medium saucepan on medium heat, sauté the garlic in the olive oil for a little over a minute. if you are using fresh onion (instead of onion powder), add them into this step. after sautéing, mix in the tomato sauce and paste, along with all spices listed. let simmer on medium-low heat.
chop the steamed broccoli. in blender or food processor, make one batch of the vegan ricotta, adding in the broccoli. in an 8x11 casserole dish, spread 1 or 2 tablespoons of the red sauce to prevent the noodles from sticking. open each shell, and stuff with vegan ricotta allowing enough room to close the shell again. the ricotta measurement is sort of a personal judgment, but i use about one large spoonful.
place shells in dish, facing upwards. pour sauce over all shells, and top with shredded mozzarella if you like. i used tofutti mozzarella slices, torn up and placed on each shell.
bake at 375°f for approximately 35-40 minutes. let cool for 5 minutes before serving.