- 1 ½ cups cooked green lentils (approx. ¾ cup dry)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 vegetarian bouillon cube
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 bag frozen pepper strips (or 1 ½ cups fresh)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons zatarain's creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
after cooking lentils according to package, heat olive oil on medium in large skillet. in a separate saucepan, dissolve veggie bouillon cube in three cups of water. after oil has heated in the skillet, add the lentils, garlic, and onion powder (or real onions, if you can stand them). sauté the lentils for about 4-5 minutes, then add about 1/4 cup of the veggie broth. toss in in the tomato, jalapeno, and pepper strips (i prefer fresh peppers, but i only had frozen on hand). continue sautéing for about 3-4 minutes more, then add the rice, remainder of broth and zatarain's seasoning.
simmer about 5 minutes, stirring often. once the water is about 80% absorbed, turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes more.
voilà - you should have a a nice lentil paella-jambalaya.