mix dry ingredients:
- 1 and 3/4 cup whole wheat graham flour (i use hodgson mill)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pb2 (peanut butter powder - sub peanut butter if you wish)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (i use non-roasted and hand chop)
in a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 cup softened vegan butter (i use earth balance lite)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
i slowly combine the wet into the dry, and mix with a spatula. after dough starts bind a little, i hand-knead until i have a 'batter'. it's much stiffer than cookie dough - but it should stick together, even if it still feels a little crumbly. you could always add a little more butter if it's falling apart too much. so once i have a dough, i break it in half and lay out two separate flat slabs on a greased baking sheet, about 1/2-3/4 inches thick. (see pic below) in this case, i didn't grease the sheet, but used foil instead.
traditionally, you are supposed to bake once before you make the first cut, but that's never worked for me (they fall apart). so i cut into biscotti strips about an inch wide, and bake at 350 f for about 25 minutes. pull out, and let cool for about 10-15 minutes. then turn the biscotti on their sides (see first pic), and bake for another 20 minutes.
once they have cooled, store in an air-tight container. to eat, dip in your favourite cup of coffee. they have just a hint of sweet almond cocoa peanut butter, but not too much of any one flavour. hope you enjoy them.